Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
Sunday, February 22, 2026
HomeOpinionPort Adelaide ultimately bought into its own hype

Port Adelaide ultimately bought into its own hype

STUMPY’S SHORT SHOTS

IT is said that a week is a long time in sport; how about trying 24 hours is a long time in sport, particularly when it comes to our game of Australian football.

It’s fantastic really.
The Saturday before Port Adelaide’s preliminary final against Western Bulldogs, front-page headlines read: “Port’s time is now – Power primed to avenge preliminary final heartbreak”.
On Friday, Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley said that he could not have imagined that his side would have any better preparation for Saturday night’s home preliminary final against the Western
Bulldogs.
“We’ve had the right build-up, we’ve earned the right to be where we are, we’ve worked really hard, we’ve trained really well in the last seven or eight days and the boys are ready to play, so we just
have to come out and execute tomorrow night,” Hinkley stated.
As simple as that, hey.
“I think we’re an improved football team, a more challenging team than this time last year. We know we’ve got a great opponent to come up against, but we are really well prepared,” Hinkley continued.
Power skipper Tom Jonas added “we’ve overcome some difficult challenges and we’ve added a couple of weapons as well in Aliir Aliir and Orazio Fantasia.
“We’re also carrying that hurt and hunger from the prelim last year”. What could go wrong?
After all, Port Adelaide players had been at home in Adelaide for weeks, with their family and friends, no travel involved, sleeping in their own beds and, basically, an injury-free list to choose
from, with the exception of Mitch Georgiades.
On the other hand, Luke Beveridge’s Western Bulldogs seemingly couldn’t take a trick.
Champion youngster Cody Weightman was to miss the game due to concussion protocols, arguably the best player in the competition, Marcus Bontempelli, had an (at least) slightly damaged
knee, and essential big defender Alex Keath who would have taken Charlie Dixon, was out.
Forget that the Bulldogs had spent most of the previous few weeks flying all over Australia – Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth – with no complaints.
They just keep on singing Lucky Starr’s I’ve Been Everywhere.
Even when they arrived in Adelaide from Perth on Friday, they were not permitted to have a run on Adelaide Oval, due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Plenty could go wrong and, in my opinion, it did mainly due to Port Adelaide believing in its own press.
It’s one thing to say that everything is great and feeling good, but it’s a problem when, even if it’s at a subconscious level, you start to believe that it’s just a matter of presenting.
Sunday’s press headline was: “DOGGONE DISASTER – Port torn apart in 71-point mauling”.
Aliir had little or no influence, and did anyone see Darcy Byrne-Jones, William Drew or Orazio Fantasia?
Port’s midfield was smashed.
Stefan Martin’s influence was enormous.
Port Adelaide’s major problem is that it is a one-trick pony, and
I’m not convinced that Ken Hinkley is the right jockey to be on board.
Have your say: Contact Rick at editor@bunyippress.com.au

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Gawler’s 150-year-old wall recreated for future generations

GAWLER'S historic Pioneer Park Wall has been rebuilt at a cost of $1.8 million, blending 19th century character with modern engineering to ensure it...

Granny flaps into Gawler

GRANNY Flaps is back and ready to cause chaos as Port Adelaide comedian Lori Bell brings her beloved character to Gawler for this year’s...

Gawler South gets an around-the-clock defibrillator

RESIDENTS in Gawler South now have 24-hour access to a potentially life-saving defibrillator, installed outside Scammell & Co. Lawyers on Adelaide Road. The automated external...

Cabaret to sweep Gawler away

AN acclaimed European cabaret extraordinaire is making her way to Gawler to debut her newest one-person act Songs From Life. Stefanie Rummel takes audiences...

Feeling unravelled at SACE Art Show

AN exploration of the motions we hide from others will be on full display as part of this year’s SACE Art Show, with Nuriootpa...

Women filmmaking to steal the show

WOMEN behind the lens are stepping into the spotlight once again with the return of SAGA Gawler as part of this year’s Fringe Festival....

Festival buzz comes to Playford

THE City of Playford is getting into the Fringe spirit this year with an open-air event kicking off festival celebrations. Fringe Friday, coming to...

Housing concerns

It was interesting to observe in The Bunyip (11/02/2026) that a 600-word narrative feature on page 2 was devoted to a pétanque contest between...

Paralowie man arrested for indecent assault on bus

POLICE have arrested three men in relation to recent sexual offences on the public transport network, and investigations are continuing into other reported incidents. A...

Foundations begin school journey

IMMANUEL Gawler Primary School welcomed its newest students last month to begin their official schooling journey. This year sees three new foundation classes enrolled...

Art to take centre stage

WITH Mad March quickly approaching the state, the time has come again to see the north come to life. The Fringe Festival is not...